Joe BordmanColonel Joe J Bordman  (May 15, 1923 - October 3, 2012)

Colonel Joe J. Bordman (USAF Ret.), one of the World’s “Greatest Generation” passed away Wednesday Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:25 P.M. at Hospice of Blue Ash (Cincinnati) after a valiant battle with cancer.  By his side was his son Captain Roger J. Bordman (FedEx & Maj., USAF Ret).  In close attendance was his daughter, Lindy M. Flere, daughter -in-law Elizabeth Billies/Bordman, and companion Anne White.  He is also survived by his grandchildren, Patricia L. Bordman and Erin J. Bordman. Joe Bordman was born in Norwood, Ohio, May 15, 1923. He attended school in Deer Park, Ohio where he graduated in 1941 as the class Valedictorian. He was an accomplished athlete, lettering in football, baseball and basketball. He was active in the theatre and received many 1st place trophies in tennis, golf, and table tennis. His love of baseball and football continued to the end. He attended the University of Miami (of Ohio) until joining the Army Air Corp his sophomore year. He became a commissioned Officer and attended pilot training in Macon Georgia. He married his high school sweetheart, the late Janice F. Noland, on December 24, 1943. He went on to B-17 Bomber training in Florida and was shortly selected to go to New Mexico to train in the new B-29 Super Fortress to take the battle home to Japan. He flew over 25 combat missions from India, Tinian and Iwo Jima. Joe left the Air Force after 6 years to attend General Motors Institute where he received a Bachelors Degree in Industrial Engineering. In 1955 he went to work for General Electric Jet Engine Division in Evandale Ohio. Colonel Bordman joined the Air Force reserve in Clinton County Ohio, as a pilot and retired at Rickenbacher AFB as the Deputy Commander of Supply and Logistics after 26 years in the service. After retiring from GE as Chief of Zero Defects (quality control) he served as a paid consultant and was sent to, Egypt, Israel, Denmark, Sweden, France, Japan, and China to oversee quality control in several jet engine parts divisions. Joe Bordman was dearly loved by family and friends. He was a man of the highest integrity and honor. When asked how he wanted to be remembered, he answered, “that I was dependable”. He was all of that and so much more.

     Visitation is Tuesday Oct. 9th 9-11 AM with funeral at 11 AM at Strawser Funeral Home 9503 Kenwood Rd. Blue Ash, OH 45242. and full Air Force Honors following. Memorials suggested to Hospice of Cincinnati and Disabled American Veterans Fund.

     One Bombing Mission Taking off from Tinian Island, on a short runway far out in the Pacific, in a heavy fuel and bomb laden B-29, First Lt. Joe Bordman soon realized that his engine cooling flaps did not close after takeoff.   The engines on the B-29 tended to overheat during taking off with high gross weights on warm days.  The bomber had to fly very low over the water until the engines cooled enough to climb to high altitude for the 14 hour round trip. Joe Bordman decided to continue the mission to deliver his bombs to Tokyo knowing that he would not have enough fuel to return to Tinian because of the increased drag, due to the cowl flaps not retracting.  The mission was successful and departed Japan with no battle damage.  He made the decision to land his aircraft and crew in Iwo Jima, which had been taken by U.S. Marines 2 months prior.  He landed shortly before a major typhoon hit the island.  Volunteers where requested to stay in the aircraft because of enemy activity.  Dad was the one to raise his hand since it was his aircraft.  Before he was locked in the aircraft armed with a flashlight, a book, and a Colt 45 Caliber service pistol he turned to look at Mt. Suribachi.  Even though the B-29 was chained down it lifted and hovered during the winds of the typhoon. Dad emerged safely and dry the next day.  Other crews and marines in the barracks and tents did not fare as well.  He celebrated his 22rd birthday during a typhoon in a B-29.