Buckeye Wing Dedication Cermony
The Buckeye Wing Association
September 28, 1990
Photo taken September 2012 by CMSgt Rob Jamison USAFR
MEMORIAL PARK - Site #189
The United States Air Force Museum
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BUCKEYE WING
The 302d Troop Carrier Wing ("The Buckeye Wing") was activated at Clinton County AFB near Wilmington, Ohio on 14 June 1952. The Wing's first aircraft was the WW II veteran C-46 "Commando", The Buckeye Wing quickly grew in stature, and achieved prominence when the Air Force Association selected it as the outstanding Reserve flying unit in the United States in 1956. Operations of note while the Buckeye Wing flew C-46 aircraft included an emergency maximum effort transport of lime from Harrisburg, Pa. to Hartford, Ct. to support flood victims, and included Operation Pine Cone I - a joint military operation with other Troop Carrier Wings.
The Buckeye Wing transitioned into C-119 "Flying Boxcar" aircraft in early 1957, and distinguished itself by winning top honors in the first Continental Air Command "CARP" (Computed Air Release Point) Rodeo, in competition with other airlift -wings. The Buckeye Wing participated in many joint military operations throughout the 1160s, including operations Pine Cone II & III, Operations Slipstream, Count down, and Swift Strike. The Wing was called to active duty during the Cuban Missile Crisis from 28 October 1962 to 28 November 1962. The Wing then began training Vietnamese and American aircrews for the C-119 Gunship mission.
The Buckeye Wing participated in the airlift of troops from Kentucky to the east coast in support of riot suppression in the turbulent 1960s, and ferried jet-augmented C-119 aircraft to Ethiopia, training foreign nationals there to fly these aircraft. The Wing further supported the distribution of C-119 aircraft, ferrying them to many countries of the free world. The Buckeye Wing moved to Lockbourne AFB near Columbus, Ohio in 1971, and transitioned into jet-augmented C123K "Provider" aircraft in 1972. The Wing continued to support the Army Paratroop school at Fort Benning, Ga. and operated the only "Spray Flight" in the Air Force. It flew aerial spray missions to Panama, Guam, Europe and worldwide in response to orders for this service. The Wing accepted many directed and opportune airlift missions in support of the total Air Force objective. The Wing mission changed from Troop Carrier to Special Operations to Tactical Airlift during its service in Ohio.
The Buckeye Wing was inactivated 1 April 1981 at Rickenbacker AFB, Ohio.
PROGRAM THE BUCKEYE WING ASSOCIATION
MEMORIAL PARK THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE MUSEUM WRIGHT PATTERSON APB, OHIO SEPTEMBER 28, 1990 1100 HOURS
* 1100 Hours FORMATION FLYOVER * WELCOME BY MUSEUM OFFICIAL * POSTING OF COLORS * INVOCATION BY Chaplain William Petrich. * INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS * HISTORY OF THE BUCKEYE WING BY Colonel Bernard Cecil. * UNVEILING OF MEMORIAL BY B/G & Mrs Donald Campbell. * PRESENTATION OF MEMORIAL TO MUSEUM BY CMSgt John Bill. * ACCEPTANCE BY MUSEUM OFFICIAL * BENEDICTION BY Chaplain William Petrich. * FIRING SQUAD, VFW POST 3283 * TAPS BY BUGLER, WPAFB * RETIRING OF COLORS * INVITATION TO AUDIENCE TO TAKE PHOTOS.
THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE MUSEUM
The United States Air Force Museum is located at Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio. It is recognized as the largest and oldest military aviation Museum in the world. As the official museum of the U.S. Air Force, it preserves the heritage and the tradition of U.S. air power through aviation and technological displays, and a research library of Air Force history.
The Museum was established in 1923 at McCook Field near Dayton, Ohio. It was closed in 1940 because of the urgent need for administrative space to support the war effort. The collection was not shown again until 1954. In 1960 the Air Force Museum Foundation was created and launched a nationwide drive to finance a larger and more modern facility. The new structure was dedicated in 1971 by President Richard Nixon.
There are now over 200 aircraft on display including the recently added SR 71 "Blackbird". Also at display are prisoner of war collections, Space and Missile Hardware,, early military uniforms and personal mementos such as diaries and medals. Memorable events in Air Force history are brought to life in sculpture and Paintings in the Museum's art gallery.
Adjacent to the Museum is a special park of trees, walkways and memorials dedicated to individuals, military units and organizations associated with the Air Force. This is where The Buckeye Wing Association has located a site to remember all who gave their lives and all who served in the 302nd Tactical Airlift Wing.